The Staten Island Media Group editorial team has been recognized with top honors by two New York publishing associations for their 2017 efforts in photojournalism and news coverage. The Staten Island Media Group provides news and information for the Staten Island Advance newspaper and SILIVE.com.
In July 2018, the New York News Publishers Association announced the winners of the 2017 Awards for Excellence competition. According the NYNPA, this annual contest recognizes journalistic excellence amongst newspapers that are members of the association. The Staten Island Advance took home 4 first place awards for the following categories:
• Beat reporting: Frank Donnelly for the court beat
• Column writing: Tom Wrobleski
• News photography: Bill Lyons
• Investigative reporting: Staff for The Untreated
The team had previously placed first for 3 categories in the 2016 Awards and 1 category in 2015.
In early June, the New York State Associated Press Association also named the Advance as first place winner for Spot News: Staff for Charleston shootout. Third place nods were given to Amanda Steen for Feature Photography.
Other notable achievements for 2017 include finalist positions for:
• Deadline Club: Reporting by an organization with less than 100,000 circ – Kristin Dalton for Dignity in Danger
• 2018 New York Emmys: Human Interest Program or Special – Shira Stoll for God’s Plan: College Football Recruit Amad Anderson’s Inspiring Story
Check out these award-winning projects on SILIVE.com, the leading website for news and information on Staten Island.